Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Christmas Pickle


Yup there it is in all it's splendor, right smack dab in full view on our little Christmas tree.
Now you must think I have totally lost it. I have just decorated my tree with a gherkin. Jake even went so far as to roll his eyes when I unveiled it from my little Pier 1 bag, but I think he likes it now. I think.

Well I am a little crazy, but the small gherkin on my tree does have a story behind it....

There's a Gherkin hanging from my Christmas tree Charlie Brown...

Supposedly it's an "old German tradition" but apparently, at least according to the article above, it's a legend.

Regardless of tradition or legend surrounding the glass gherkin, we are carrying on the "tradition" in our house, mostly because it's fun, and Jake's family is German and has done this for years!

Since I first learned of this "old world tradition" I have wanted a pickle ornament of my own to hang upon the limbs of my humble tree, and now I have one and can carry on the ridiculousness, craziness, laughable-ness, tradition from my husbands family and make great memories stemming from the gherkin that sits in my tree.

Isn't it fabulous?!

I think it's pretty special.

1 comment:

Kaity Teer said...

hilarious!! i had no idea that was a tradition!! i think it's okay to be a little quirky for any reason, but especially for a tradition. so cute.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...