Thursday, January 22, 2009

Praying for the New President

Even though I know a lot of people were "put off" by Barack Obama choosing Pastor Rick Warren to do the invocation at his inauguration, I think it was one of the best parts of the whole televised event. So, no matter what your opinion is about it here is the prayer in case you missed it.



I also found some articles about this very thing, some for and most obviously against as our media is obviously biased, but I will share both sides with you anyway.

I just find it hypocritical myself that people were so against Pastor Rick Warren giving the invocation at this historic event, but when Barack Obama included Biblical teachings in his speech, no one said a thing because he also included non-religious people in his speech, being more diverse is apparently the "in" thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is an obvious reason that Barack Obama was chosen in this place and time to be the President of the United States of America. I believe that God ordained this, that this all has a purpose even if we cannot see what that is, and that despite whether or not we agree with the views of Obama or even voted for him that we also should be in prayer for our new president, our government and the United States as this is the Will of God.

Psalm 32:8~The Lord says "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you."

And we have this promise from God:

Jeremiah 29:11~"I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

Tell me, what is your opinion on this? What do you think?

I leave you with America's Song.

2 comments:

janelle said...

Thanks for posting the prayer; I did not watch the inaguartion for a few reasons but I am glad I was able to hear the prayer. (I had been praying for Rick to pray...)

Being a conservative/values voter, this has been a hard election; it has been even more difficult to remain loving. I think there are radicals on both sides but I do agree that the press has the ability to influence - good or bad.

The most important thing to remember is what you said your post: we do need to pray for our president. God also commanded us to respect those in authority over us.

Some conservatives would like to see Obama fail - but if he fails, we suffer the consequences. And that whole "greatest command" thing about loving God first and others second doesn't mean we get to choose who we will love.

Thanks for your post.

Jake and Nikki Boden said...

Janelle, you are so right! We don't get to choose who we love and who we don't, that is definitely NOT what God commanded us to do, but to "Love your neighbor as yourself." I too have struggled with this election, but understand like you said if he fails then we all suffer, and then we're no better off. That is why I will continually pray for him and his administration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...